Monday, January 24, 2011

His way is better.

This morning I was reading in 1 Samuel 8, which is where the Israelites were begging God for a king. They wanted their nation to be like all the other nations around them, ruled by a king and such. The thing is, they already had the perfect ruler for their nation; they had God! They didn't have to deal with the issues that come with an earthly king, but rather they were being controlled by the almighty creator. However, they still were comparing themselves to those around them and insisting on using their methods for a ruler. God warned them of all the terrible things that would happen if they had a king, but the Israelites insisted that they knew best and that their plan was better than God's. They begged and pleaded, and finally God gave them a king of their own. God knew full well the Israelites were saying that they wanted a man rather than God, and He knew how much trouble they were getting themselves into, yet He gave them what they wanted.

That thought kind of scares me! The idea that even though God knew that the Israelites were being selfish and dumb, He still gave them what they wanted. It makes me wonder how often this happens with myself. How often does God have a wonderful plan set up for me, but then I tell him I want something different and "better" (In my worldly eyes at least), and God gives it to me. How often do I make a stupid decision, even after already knowing the consequences of that choice? And then of course I complain about how everything is going and how my life is so hard, when really things would just be simpler and infinitely better if I clung to God.

I also think about the fact that the Israelites had everything so perfectly set up for them, yet they still wanted something different. Rather than being happy with what God had given them, they wanted to have their nation like those around theirs. Instead of appreciating the perfectly unique government they had, they insisted on having a corrupted worldly monarchy. I guess it's kind of the same idea as above, where God gives me something great yet I still tell Him i want something else. I hate to think of how often I turn my back on the greatness that God has given only to attempt to satisfy myself with the world. Will I ever get it through my head that God's way is always better, regardless of the other options?!

No comments:

Post a Comment