Monday, February 7, 2011

Overused Love.

So I should be working on homework. I'm actually sitting here in the studio with all my project stuff set up right in front of me, but I'm ignoring it.

Last week I was talking to some girls at small group actually, and they were saying how people can completely use some words the wrong way. Like the word "awesome". It was a word used to describe God, describing His power. Today, I can use the word countless times a day describing anything from the weather to my socks. That's just ridiculous! A word used to describe my creator is instead used to describe any given thing I find interesting in my day to day living. Back in high school I remember my best friend [http://whitney-mypaperheart.blogspot.com/] totally gave up saying the word "awesome". She decided that it just wasn't right to use it everyday, so she reserved it for only God. I think this is so cool! and thinking back on it now, I'm starting to think that way about other words too. For example...

Love. I feel like that is a term that is totally misused these days, and when I looked on Google that is only confirmed. I looked up what answers "love" brought up on Google, just to get a taste of what the worldly view of love really is. It's just pathetic. Things like "[making] love", "love calculator" and Las Vegas all came up on the first page. Is that really how love is defined these days?! That is nothing at all how the Bible defines love, and it just makes me a little crazy. Like thinking back over all the things I claim to love every day is ridiculous. I think today I proclaimed love for What Not To Wear, Panera, bread and slippers.

How can I even say those things seriously, when love is one of those terms that should be saved? I don't really love those things at all, or any of the other pointless inanimate objects I claim to love every day. Love is much more than an affection for a given object, it is an active verb. It involves showing others Christ's attitude and greatness in the way you treat them.

I've been thinking about this a lot over the past few days, and I am really going to try to cut down on my use of the word "love" when it's unnecessary. Yes, there are things I truly love, and situations where I know the word is appropriate without a doubt. However, I don't need to profess to love every single thing that makes me a little bit happy. So now, if you happen to agree with me, I challenge you to do the same thing. I challenge you to just think about it, and figure out what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment