Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Non-human Savior.

For the past week or so, I've been really focusing on love. I don't really know why, it's not like I think about it constantly or anything, I guess it's just something that's been on my mind a lot when I sit down to write. Maybe this is God's way of telling me that it's time I change some things in my life? Chances are, that's about right.

Anyways, a couple weeks ago I saw something really interesting from a friend on twitter. She said to read the love chapter in 1 Corinthians 13, but to replace the word "love" with your name. So I went and read it, and man is it powerful. Personally I like the message version's listing of these verses best, so this is what it looks like:

[reagan] never gives up.
[reagan] cares more for others than for self.
[reagan] doesn't want what it doesn't have.
[reagan] doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.


Now if only I could say even one of those things were true. Reading over that list, I realize just how un-loving I truly am. I certainly enjoy the feeling of other people showing love to me, but why can't I do that for other people? It's amazing how much I can get caught up on myself and my pride, and how often I entirely forget about others. I wish I could just always have these verses plastered directly in front of my eyes as a constant reminder of how I should be acting. I should be loving and kind and patient and forgiving, but unfortunately I allow myself to settle for less. I allow my sinful human nature to get in the way, and instead I just get consumed with myself. It's so pathetic really.

The absolutely awesome part of it though is that I have a savior who is none of the things I am. He isn't self righteous. He isn't bitter towards me. He isn't caught up on what other people think of Him. He isn't human! And it's so wonderful. The moments when I start to think of how sinful and human I really am, those are the times I am so thankful to have a God who isn't like me at all. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment