Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Give It Up.

So I think you should all go read Leviticus 25. Go to biblegateway.com, youversion.com, google, whatever. Because otherwise, not much of this post will make sense to you at all. Just a suggestion :]

After reading Leviticus 25, I can’t believe the Israelites never actually practiced the Year of Jubilee I mean I know that it sounds like God was asking a lot from them, but He promised them blessings in return. For example, He promised that He would provide enough food in the 6th year to be sufficient for the 3 years following, so clearly the Israelites would have plenty of food. God also gave them specific instructions about how to release their slaves and servants, so God had a plan for that area too. Regardless of what all God told them to do while practicing the year of Jubilee, the Israelites still did not listen.

Now after reading the chapter, it was hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that the Israelites just didn’t obey. They chose to ignore the whole idea of the Year of Jubilee rather than listening to God and celebrating this occasion. I spent some time researching online whether the Israelites every celebrated the Year of Jubilee, and multiple sources said that not once did the Israelites ever acknowledge the Year of Jubilee. Never. Not a single time. I was so stunned by this fact, and suddenly it hit me why they acted in this way.

It was because of their pride and lack of faith.

I think that the Israelites didn’t really think that God would provide. They thought that their way of living was just fine, so why try something new? They seemed pretty comfortable and content with their farming routines and their slaves, so why mix it up by taking an entire year off and letting all of their servants go free? This might be a little bold of me, but I think that the Israelites doubted whether it was really a wise decision on their part so they just ignored this command from God entirely. They thought their methods were just fine so they didn’t trust God enough to believe that He would provide, causing them to not change their ways.

Now at first, it seems like the Israelites were being stubborn, selfish and overall pretty dumb. I mean didn’t they know that God would abundantly provide for them for trusting and obeying Him? Hadn’t He been doing that all along for the Israelites? Well, that was my thought at least. But then I realized something.

How often do I pass up some amazing blessing from God simply because I’m too content with how things are and don’t want to risk anything and change? I am very much a creature of habit, and I don’t always like to change my routines. I’m not saying that I do the exact same thing day in and day out, but once I have formed a routine it’s hard for me to break it. I shudder to question how often God has presented me with an opportunity that could have resulted in a blessing from Him, but I turned it down because I was too comfortable with my life. I am realizing that I need to let go of my stubborn ways and my routines, and instead I need to let God’s way come first. I need to let Him call the shots in my life and give Him complete control. I’m reminded of a verse in Ephesians that says:

“Now to Him, who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine…, to Him be the glory.”
God can do so much more than I can even begin to imagine, so why should I let my stubborn routines get in the way of Him working in my life?!

There are things I need to let go of, areas I need to give Him the control. He keeps reminding me of this, and it’s an area that really requires selflessness and humility. At first the task seems so daunting, but when I think about it I’m left wondering why I can’t just give it all to Him. He can do anything, so why should I let my sinfulness get in His way. His plan for my life is perfect, so why should I be his obstacle? I should be extending His kingdom and bringing the glory to Him rather than being too stubborn to change my ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment