Friday, March 25, 2011

Heaven!

As I continue reading through Exodus, I have been struggling. I’m towards the end of the book, and most of the chapters are about how God wants Moses to design the temple. It’s all about the measurements and adornments for the entire building, and to be completely honest it’s been a bit of a struggle to get through. I mean I completely understand that this temple was a really big deal for the Israelites and that was why God was giving them such detailed instructions as to how to make it, but as a twenty-first century American I was really struggling to make the connection as to how this could relate to me. But then, it hit me!

God gave Moses the most detailed description of how He wanted this temple to look. He told Moses what size the drapes should be, what the priests should wear, what the basins for washing should be like, which incense should be used, what one particular table should look like, what the lampstand should look like, and so many other little details. I was tempted to just skim over the entire section, cross it off my to-do list, and be done for the day. I prayed that God would show me what sort of application I could reap out of reading these passages, because I really couldn’t find anything on my own.

However, I just came to a realization! If God was that detailed about one, single building that the Israelites were building for him, what is heaven going to be like?! God put that much thought and detail into one single building that isn’t even around anymore, so I can’t even begin to imagine what God’s holy kingdom will look like. I can’t even fathom what it is going to look like, but I’m pretty sure that streets of gold are only the beginning. Heaven is going to be so beautiful, so amazing, that we aren’t even going to know what to do with ourselves.

Ah this just makes me so, so excited! God has already created so much wonder and beauty here on earth, and heaven is going to be infinitely better! I’ve heard people say that there are going to be new tastes and new colors in heaven that we can’t even fathom here. New colors?! This might just be my interior-design-self talking here, but I can’t even wrap my mind around the idea of a whole range of completely new and foreign colors. And new tastes too?! Ah God is so good, and He has something marvelous and wonderful in store for us in heaven! I just can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment