Monday, March 7, 2011

Forgiveness.

Hello!

So I'm sorry that I haven't really written lately, I've been caught up in stress, homework and other things. I've been workin on some projects, as well as relaxing between all the workload. Unfortunately, my lack of posting on here means a lack of time with God too. The past week I have just been really slacking on spending quality time with God and actively reading His word. Instead, I've been avoiding my devotions and pushing off my Bible reading. However, this morning I finally sat down and really got back in the Word, and I feel much better now! So I thought I would post on here and share some of my thoughts.

One of the things I read this morning was in Genesis 50, at the end of Joseph's life. After Joseph and his brothers’ father Jacob died, his brothers became afraid that Joseph would pay them back for all the terrible things they had done to him. When Joseph became aware of his brothers' fear, he responded telling them:

“Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good.”

Now Joseph clearly had a reason to be angry at his brothers and hold their wrongs against them, but he didn’t do that at all. He accepted them back, he forgave them, he provided for them and gave them far beyond what they expected. I find this so amazing, that after everything they did he simply forgave them. And then after their father’s death, when Joseph could have gotten away with showing anger and vengeance towards his brothers, he still continued showing them love. His forgiveness was genuine, and he loved his brothers all the same.

What if we all started to act this way? What if we simply forgave the people who have done us wrong, regardless of whether we think they have received adequate punishment for their actions? It seems like it’s easier to forgive the people who have already had to pay for what they have done, but what if we all just forgave people regardless? It seems so easy to expect to be treated this way by others, but what if we acted this way ourselves? What if we accepted the fact that God is in control and that He is the ultimate judge, and that nothing we do could ever equal what he can do.

God knows what people have done to us, and more importantly He knows what we have done to others. He knows the wrongs we have committed against each other and against Him, but he still loves us. He can change any situation and make it good. Everything God does is good, so why should we meddle in the middle and try to fix it all ourselves? All that is going to do is make things worse for us, and ultimately point out how small and powerless we are in comparison to God Almighty.

I am so thankful that God is in control of this world, and that all I can do is serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment